What is Digraph?
The digraph is written with two letters, but makes one sound.
For e.g., the digraph <ai> in the word ‘sail’ is written with two letters <a> and <i>, but gives one sound; /ai/ i.e. long sound of <a>.
When children are need to be taught about digraph, it should need to be understood that –
- The letter <a> has an /a/ sound and similarly, the letter <i> has an /i/ sound.
- When the letters <a> and <i> both come together, they give a different sound.
Dictating words with digraph <ai>
- Children have to remember that when they hear the /ai/ sound, they have to write the two letters<a> and <i> for long sound of <a> or single long sound.
- Children should give the practice to place a dot underneath each individual sounds in a word separate the individual sounds. This will help the children to recognize that digraph makes one sound but write with two letters. For e.g. S/ai/l. sound.
Reading words with digraph <ai>
- e children read the words having <ai>, they have to make one sound i.e. long sound of letter <a>.
Sound of <ai>
1. AI words beginner level list
2. AI words advance level list
3. AI words rhyming words