IMPORTANT POINTS ON MATTER
- To convert the temperature in celsius scale to kelvin scale, add 273 to it.
0°C = 0 + 273 = 273K
5°C = 5 + 273 = 278K
100°C = 100 + 273 = 373K
The temperature in kelvin scale is represented by symbol K and not °K.
- High melting point of a solid shows strong forces of attraction between its particles. Similarly, high boiling point of a liquid shows strong forces of attraction between its particles.
- Change in state Name of Change
Solid to liquid – melting, fusion
Liquid to gas – boiling, evaporation
Solid to gas – sublimation
Gas to solid – deposition
Gas to liquid – condensation, liquefaction
liquid to solid – freezing, solidification
- Changing states of matter is about changing density, pressure, temperature and other physical properties. It must be noted that in changing states of matter, the basic chemical structure does not change.
- Water freezes at 32oF or 0oC and boils at 212oF or 100oC. To convert the temperature in celsius scale from fahrenheit scale or vice-versa –
(F-32) x 5/9 = C